The Original Bikerider

Nelson lended me his January 1995 Ironhorse because it changed his world. This article touches me because of the word Bikerider. The same word I saw in Danny Lyon's 1968 book called "The Bikeriders". Hell, the bikes are of the same vintage. The faces are both younger adults. The subjects were part of an emerging culture. It's all the same shit.

Yeah, the Bikerider was used and forgotten 40 years ago, but there is a new definition that needs a label. Jason Jessee represents well the definition: Aging skater, vans-wearing, Dickies donning, flannel sporting, small period-inspired bike, younger-than-a-baby-boomer, no leather, etc... In my head I've been using bikerider so I don't have to recite the visual cues mentally every time. The word "Biker" doesn't apply, really.

There are tons of us that grew up like, or with, Jason and the rad lifestyle that came with it. Our radness lives on with motorcycles fuckers. He proves it. Seeing Jason Jessee in the first article of him and the bike that started it all (photo not shown here) with the word "Bikerider" blew my damn mind!!! !!! !!! He's the original Bikerider to me. I can relate more to him than any biker.

I'll post a current cell phone picture I of his bike "The Black Tibetan" soon, btw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lesson in No Love

Functional and Personal

SPIT is out!